Ham and cheese might seem like the most basic and boring combo on the planet, but you know what? It’s a classic for a reason, and that makes it the perfect tasty appetizer. Howdini shows us how to dress it up a little and create an easy, make-ahead snack everybody will love.
– 1 egg
– 1 tablespoon water
– 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (1/2 of 17 1/4-ounce package), thawed
– 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
– 1/4 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
– 8 slices deli fresh shaved smoked ham
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover a baking sheet with parchment.
- Beat the egg and water until blended. Set aside.
- Unfold the pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll into 14-by-10-inch rectangle, then cut in half lengthwise.
- Brush both of the pastry halves lightly with some of the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the cheese and the pepper evenly over one of the pastry pieces, then cover with ham slices.
- Place the remaining pastry piece, egg-side down, over the ham and roll gently with a rolling pin to seal. Brush with additional egg mixture.
- Roll up tightly to form a 14-inch log, starting at one of the long sides. Cut this log crosswise into 24 slices and place the slices, cut-sides down, on the baking sheet.
- Brush the slices with the remaining egg mixture and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of cheese.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.