A woman was horrified when she discovered a decomposed frog in her Nando’s salad – after she’d eaten most of it.
Louise Rudd, from Manchester, had been eating her chicken quinoa salad at a Nando’s restaurant in East Didsbury with her son and husband when she made the shock discovery.
Speaking to Manchester Evening News, the super-fit athlete said: ‘What disgusts me the most is that I’d eaten most of the salad when I found it as it had sank to the bottom.
‘It was horrendous, it was still whole and spread out. I went to the bathroom and was sick.’
A lab report ordered by Louise confirmed that the animal was a European frog and said the ‘most plausible scenario’ for it making its way into the food was through the Skelmersdale-based factory Salads To Go which produces the pre-packed salad.
Louise, who won gold in both the 800m and 1,500m at the World Masters Championship in Lyon earlier this year, said: ‘I was right in the middle of my training.
‘I had no idea what kind of frog it was. It makes me sick to think about it. If I’d been ill it would have had massive implications and floored my training routine.’
To compensate, Nando’s offered Louise a free meal and paid for her son and nine of his friends to go to the cinema and eat at the restaurant.
She said: ‘I haven’t been back since, I haven’t touched a pre-packed salad since, Salads To Go supply them to lots of supermarkets and chains. A lot of my friends won’t go back either.’
A Nando’s spokesperson said that as soon as the mother told them about the problem, they launched a full investigation with their salad supplier.
They added that they will continue to work with all of their suppliers to ensure that they deliver the quality and standards they expect.