Imagine being served food in a restaurant, only to find out that it is actually leftovers from another patron’s plate! While such a thing seems unthinkable, turns out a former Mexican restaurant employee’s mom from Michigan is indeed stating that this was standard practice at the establishment. Apparently when customers would leave extra food on their plates and then leave, that food would be re-served to new guests!
The mother is Kristie Bowie and it was her daughter who worked at Su Casa Restaurant in South Haven. She was a busser for one week, as that’s all it took for her to realize that when the boss tells you to save food from tables that doesn’t look as it had been touched so it can be used again, it’s time to quit.
Here’s what the mother had to say:
“She was told not to throw away the salsa, chips, etc that … ‘looked’ like they haven’t been touched!” Bowie wrote. “She did not feel comfortable with this so [she] asked the owner if it was true. He said [it] was true so she put her notice in and worked her shift.”
And then things got worse for the daughter. The mother continues:
“The owner belittled my daughter telling her she had no common sense and asked her if she is such a clean freak why is her apron dirty! She finished her shift, like a trooper, then left and called her dad in tears. Naturally he went down there. Long story short he is banned from there now, like we care, and Erica was terminated.”
But it looks like the family is getting the upper hand here as so far her post is getting major attention, racking up 750 likes, while being shared 3,000 times so far in only 6 days. The mother leaves a stern warning for potential patrons who are thinking about going to this establishment to eat:
“Unless you don’t care about your food having been at another table, I would suggest not eating there!”
Turns out, the chips and salsa are not the only things getting recycled from tables. Another former employee, Anthony Rigozzi has also come forward, saying the following:
“They will have used meat out and just hang it back up after the health department tells them to take it down. They will put it right back up as soon as they leave. I would rather have the place shut down because this shouldn’t go on.”
Health inspection reports state that indeed Su Casa was previously cited for a faulty dishwasher and pork roast which was exposed.
Edgar Suarez is the owner of the restaurant, and he is playing the dumb card, by saying he simply didn’t realize re-serving food was wrong! Here’s what he had to say:
“I thought it was OK and the health department said it’s not possible, you cannot do that. I didn’t realize that even if people did not touch them or they were still in the tray, I thought everything was good.”
So now he is stating that his re-using of food policy has now changed.
Here’s his revamped plan of action:
“Now we ask people before we bring anything out, we ask them would you like chips and salsa so there’s no confusion in the near future.”
I think it’s safe to say the damage has already been done and while Su Casa remains open, it has been cited for the re-serving of food, and of course it has been massively called out on social media. Share this with friends and family to spread awareness.