Apoached egg is an egg that has been cooked by simmering it liquid. They’re one of the most classic and popular ways to serve eggs, but cooking them perfectly is notoriously tricky. Just one small mistake, and it can ruin everything.
If you’ve ever struggled to get your poached eggs just right, or you’re looking for a brand new technique, then this video is for you. Courtesy of one of our favorite YouTube life hackers, Dave Hax (you know, the guy who taught us the real way to cut up a pepper), here’s a super easy trick to creating the perfect poached eggs with a lovely runny yolk, every single time. The two secret ingredients? A coffee mug or cup, and some plastic wrap.
Here’s what you do:
- Place plastic rap over a cup to make a slight pocket.
- Pour in a bit of oil and wipe the oil around the cup.
- Crack your egg into the cup, on top of the plastic wrap.
- Lift the plastic wrap out of the cup and twist into a small package. Tie a knot.
- Put the package in a pan of hot simmering water. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, depending on the size of the egg.
- Lift the package out with spoon. It’s ready to serve!
- Cut the package and empty out the egg.