Nothing tastes better than hot homemade apple dumplings! This recipe comes out perfect every time!
2 Granny Smith apples
1 cup water
1 cup sugar divided
1 stick butter
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
8 canned biscuits (I use Pillsbury buttermilk)
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel, core and slice apples vertically into 8 slices each. Cover with cold water to keep them from getting brown while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
2. In a medium saucepan, mix the water, 3/4 cup of the sugar, butter and vanilla over heat and bring mixture to a boil.
3. Separate each biscuit in half. Wrap biscuit dough layer around a slice of apple, stretching it to slightly overlap and seal the bottom.
4. Place the wrapped slices sealed side down in a 9 X 13 baking pan. Pour the hot sugar mixture over the apple slices.
5. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over the tops of the wrapped apples. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!